This two-part interactive course is designed to help supervisors overcome reluctance and build skills in conducting timely, effective difficult conversations with employees before workplace issues become difficult-to-change patterns. The training helps participants recognize the causes and indicators of conflict, and teaches skills to avoid ineffective responses to conflict situations and to select an effective response from a variety of options. The group will review a four-step model that can be used to address difficult employee situations in both face-to-face and remote environments, and will prepare for and practice a tough conversation using workplace-relevant role plays.
Participants will also complete an action plan so that they are ready to apply what they have learned to a tough conversation back on the job.
- Define conflict and describe its effect on the workplace when not managed effectively
- Explain the importance of a supervisor’s timely response to conflict, along with ongoing communication
- Explore a variety of effective and ineffective responses to conflict and how to differentiate between the two
- Prepare effectively for tough conversations with employees
- Apply the four-step tough conversations model to typical employee situations
- Create an action plan for on-the-job conversations participants need to conduct
HR Works, Inc. is a recognized provider of recertification credits. HR Certification Institute® pre-approved this program for the number of HR (General) credits listed above, towards aPHR™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™ and SPHRi™ recertification. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.hrci.org
HR Works, Inc. is recognized by SHRM to offer SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP professional development credits (PDCs). This program is valid for the number of PDCs listed above. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.